Thursday, August 02, 2007

Goodbye Hillary and Jon :-( Hello Kampala :-)

Greetings from the National Library of Uganda in Kampala.
It is a very unimpressive building, but I thought that I would take a look inside, and behold, I found free internet!!

I split off from Jon and Hillary a couple of days ago. They left back to Israel today and I'm staying in Africa for another two weeks. Yesterday I arrived in Kampala and was slightly culture shocked.
After spending 2 weeks in a village, Kampala seems huge and uber cosmopolitan.

Last night I decided to venture out to the Cineplex to see a movie.
The theatre is in a very large, very modern and very fancy mall. Definitely the "nicest" place that I've seen on my trip.
It was really really weird.
I totally forgot where I was. It was the first time in about 7 weeks that I didn't stand out as a white person.
It caters to lots of expats, and to wealthy locals. It has a sushi place and cosmic bowling.
Very confusing.

Anyway, I saw Die Hard 4.0 which was a good way to pass some time.

Today I'm just wandering the city, getting lost and then finding my way again.

The plan for now is to spend a couple more days in Kampala and then head off to Rwanda for about a week.

My 40 minute time limit is almost up, so I have to end here.

PS Happy Belated birthday to my sister Naomi and cousin Ira!

2 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Dude, isn't Africa getting boring already?

You should just come to Chicago.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger bermandie said...

Dear Chaim,
Hillary came to visit today and told me all about your travels - sounds as if you guys had a great time together!
She also mentioned that you would be returning to Israel next week and that I should expect you for lunch on Thursday... being the last day of the summer session, we'll be having sweet potato mannacotti! Hope you will be able to join us! She also mentioned to expect you to be unshaven and very thin - oy vey!
Shabbat Shalom and best wishes,
David S. Berman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home