Friday, July 06, 2007

Mzungus hit the beach

We are now back in Stone town after a few days on the East Coast of Zanzibar in a town called Jambiani.
I use the term "town" VERY loosely.
There is really nothing there other than a beach, some guest houses, a school and some houses.
We spent most of yesterday looking for a fruit stand (which didn't really exist).
Luckily, at some point in our search, we found a nice Canadian couple who are running an NGO in Jambiani.
We chatted with them for almost 2 hours and then they told us where to find some fruit.

I ended my last post with some negative sentiments about the beach (which I still hold).
I'm happy to report that I survived my time in Jambiani (I even enjoyed it).
My camera, unfortunately, did not fair as well.
I kinda jumped in the pool with the camera in my pocket.
Now it doesn't turn on.
I hope it just needs time to dry off (its been 2 days already...)

Thankfully, the memory card still works and Hillary has a camera so all is not lost.
Hopefully it will magically start to work. If not, maybe I can get it fixed (that will probably have to wait until I get home...)

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new SLR.
This might just be the ticket.

At this point, I'd like to thank my parents for buying me the camera (that is now very sick).
Its had a good run and hopefully it will recover.
refuah shleima camera ben chaim.

Anyway, besides the camera incident jambiani was fun.
we snorkeled, which was pretty cool and we got to go sailing on a dhow (look it up).
Our accomodation was also pretty fun.

Now we're in stonetown for shabbat (kind of like the old city) and then we head back to the mainland on our way to visit my cousins in Arusha.

Love from Africa
Shabbat Shalom

3 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

That's unfortunate... Refuah Shleima Camera ben Chaim, indeed....
It might still dry off... Look what happened to my mom's cell, which I put through the wash twice at the Chalet.
... ... Enjoy, bud!

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, Jambiani... I still have dreams about that place. When we were on a similar fruit quest in Jambiani one of the locals looked at us like we were crazy and just shook a tree. The coconuts rained down, and that's what we had. Stupid American tourists :*)

Did you get to see them bottling all the little cloves in the center of Stonetown? Were the guys with the grubby toes still doing the bottling?
/Fern

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger bermandie said...

Chaim, happy to read you're having such a good time in Africa (sorry about your camera).Hope you got the small package I sent with John...
Regards to Hillary and John, will check your blog again sometime soon.
Your sister-in-law popped in this morning - she's looking well and tanned!
Yours, etc. from Jerusalem,
David S. Berman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home